Saturday, April 29, 2006

Global Night Commute


Tonight really launches our family's relationship with the Invisible Children. We will be participating in an event called the Global Night Commute. We are walking down to GreenLake Park in Seattle to sleep overnight and draw awareness to the kids who do this every night in Uganda to keep safe from the LRA soldiers who try to abduct them from their villages. They are forced, to spare their own lives, to sleep in a neighboring town, where a safe shelter awaits them. Many of these children have been commuting for 9 or 10 years. They sleep on a floor, side by side, sometimes hundreds and thousands one next to the other. They spend every night running for their lives.

We first heard of these children through the Oprah show. She featured the three young men who went to Uganda in 2003 to shoot a documentary. They came back with the plight of these kids branded into their souls. They had to do more. They started invisible children, Inc. A non-profit set up to help these kids, bring attention to their lives ruled by terror, set up an education program to help make their future brighter, and ultimately, to stop the war that is threatening them each and every day.

Check out their site. I will be posting more on our personal efforts towards this cause. You can check back and see what you can do to join us.

5 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger Chickadeeva said...

Julie, I am so glad you shared this opportunity with me.

While we aren't able to join the GNC tonight, we are remembering the children. I played the videos for my girls and they were moved to tears. I explained about the soldiers and, in appropriate terms, the sex slavery.

We discussed it, watched the GNC trailer and prayed for the children. We prayed that we could make a difference like those three young men.

I have already secured a spot on Capital Hill for a House Party. They have sold out of house party kits already - no more until May 4th. While we won't register as a public house party event on the site to control the number of people, we are intending to act.

The girls want to make a lemonade stand. I say we'll buy T-shirts, bracelets and plan a party.

What will you do? Will you join us?

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Bickler3 said...

ELicia ! I will make cookies for your girls to sell at their lemonaide stand !! You GO GIRLS!!

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Julie -
Thanks! Knitting is a great relaxing hobby, but I haven't been able to do it much lately b/c of grad school. If you want to see my blog entry I wrote Sunday about the GNC (with pics), check it out here: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=4562159&blogID=116075287&MyToken=17903ae4-5025-47a7-89ad-64c8b04c7c86
I hope you don't mind that I referenced you in there ;)

Best,
Andi

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

er, if that link doesn't show, just go to myspace.com/andimarie and you'll see a link for it in the Blog section (top right)

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Chickadeeva said...

Hey - I wondered what you've done lately. I am ready to set up the movie night soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home