Sunday, April 30, 2006

We did it!

Packed and ready to go. My Mom took the photo and stayed with the other children. Thanks Mom!


______________________________
Okay, so I was cold. Freezing, actually. My core was warm but my feet....Oh my feet! But my heart was warm with the knowledge that my family was making a difference! We stuck it out. Considering I had a weak moment at 11:30 PM, I am honestly surprised we made it until 5:30 AM when we rolled out of bed. Kudos to Blake for figuring how to sandwich us in between two tarps to keep us relatively protected from the dew and cold. Now if I only had remembered an extra blanket and some warm socks, it might have been a more pleasant evening. The two kids, Riley and Rebecca, were warm and toasty all night. Grace from the Almighty, I suppose.

What did we do...Well...We wrote letters to President Bush and Senators Cantwell and Murray. We made scrapbook pages for the kids. We read "Matilda" under the covers before bed. We drank Starbucks in the morning and posed for a film shot that will be in the full length feature movie next year. We thought about the children, each of us sleeping with a photo of one of the children in our pockets. We were so united and so apart of it all and we even made the channel 7 news! Fun stuff. Here are some photos of the night and early morning. Stay tuned for more updates to come on the Paine family adventure with Invisible Children!

Night commuting....Off to Greenlake we go!

Signing in, getting our bracelets and info packs.


In front of one of the seven RVs that are roaming the nation for Invisible Children. Photo credit: Riley Paine


Writing letters to the President and our Senators.

A glimpse of the multitudes who camped out with us.

5 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

That's so awesome! I participated in the GNC in Ann Arbor, MI - and was amazed to see how the # of participants grew from 35,000 on Tuesday to 58,000 after the Oprah show aired. Thanks for being part of the movement!

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Bickler3 said...

WOW !! I am so proud of you guys!! We would have been there but Tawni was sick!! I did manage to record a blip of you on the evening news!! Your famous!!! We are totally on board with you guys on this let us know how we can help!!

 
At 3:34 AM, Blogger Cori Stern said...

I happened across your site - right on!! I run The Name Campaign http://www.namecampaign.org - and we're also working to raise awareness in Northern Uganda.

I'm also with the organization that brought the young girl from Uganda here for surgery. Evaline. You can read more about her at:
http://www.next-right-thing.org

SO great to see a whole family involved.

Blessings,

Cori Stern

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Kristina said...

I'm proud of you guys! Way to take a stand. If we would have been aware of the campain at an earlier time, I'm sure Willem, Christian, and I would have done it with you.

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger The_Brain said...

Thank you for doing this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home